Thursday, February 26, 2009

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire

I have been following the news about Senator Roland Burris who is apparently suffering from the Illinois Political Tradition of being crooked at least in my opinion. Senator Burris stoutly defended his squeaky clean track record when he was appointed, and then it was all down hill from there. He denied having any previous dealings with Governor Blagojevich but later admitted that maybe he did have a chat or two with folks in that tortured administration. Several other statements he originally made have been "corrected", but the more he talks, the bigger the hole he gets into. I wouldn't make any bets on whether or not he gets re-elected when the seat comes up again. The press of course is having a hell of a good time as it digs up more and more dirt. I must admit that sometimes Freedom of the Press is valuable to us clueless citizens. Stay tuned, I doubt if this is over yet.

Not to be outdone, Potsdam politics is rolling along in its usual fashion. The latest developement is the new Town Hall, which everything thought had gone away. Alas, the announcement that some free money from the Feds would shortly come rolling in has resurrected the town hall issue for the third time. I don't really care whether they build a new town hall or not, thank heaven I don't have to deal with them, but the determination to rebuild has not gone away, it was just dormant for a while. In the meantime the hospital expansion has escalated into another hassel with the pros and cons going at it with great enthusiasm. The organizer of the most recent "con" group has protested that he did not actually shut down his meeting because some folks disagreed with his opinion, but is continuing his struggle against "Big Hospital". I fully expect the hospital to prevail in this matter, but they will have to jump through the hoops before it becomes a reality. By now, anyone trying to improve or expand in Potsdam should have a complete idea of how things work there, and press on. I can't imagine why the folks in Potsdam continue to reelect the same group which time after time decides what is good for everyone else in town, and continues to inflict its views on the town/village.

I don't understand the continuing outrage over the Baseball steroid issue. I mean, these guys make millions of dollars to play a game, and if they take a steroid shot or two, why should we care? They don't seem to realize that their bodies will probably pay the price for their "enhancement" procedures at some point, and that's their problem. I personally don't care if they inject themselves with kryptonite, they are just entertaining folks. At least they don't seem to be stealing money from investors, unless you consider their salaries stealing.

Quite a few members of my family are enthralled with this "American Idol" business, another subject I do not understand. I occasionally see a snippet or two of the program before I retreat to my room with a book. As far as I can see, the worst singers in the world line up to make an ass of themselves in front of a national audience, with the hopes they will be the next superstar on the scene. Judging their efforts we have a panel of airheads, along with participation by the audience which votes on their efforts.

No comments: