Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Ides of January

Anybody care about the weather? We are at 35 degrees today (Tuesday) and predicted to go to 25 below zero by Thursday. There is nothing like a 55 degree temperature swing to make you appreciate the North Country. My buddy in Florida calls and tells me they are a little chilly - it only was 67 in the AM. Luckily, it warmed up later for them. I can't repeat what I say to him.

They have a "world's dumbest crook" thing on TV periodically, and I would hate to think we were left out here on the Edge of the World. We were saved recently by a guest at the prison in Malone, who was released at about midnight one night, and stole a car on the way out of the jail parking lot. He was apprehended in about 30 minutes as near as I can tell and got his free room back.

In Canton, our Board of Legislators are at it again. Seems that Legislator Tom Nichols (the voice of Oswegatchie) was appointed as Deputy Republican Election Commissioner and it is now being decided whether it is ethical for him to stay on the board at the same time. Our erstwhile county attorney is "researching" the law on this situation, and will come up with an answer sometime this year. I remember the county attorney when I worked up there, whose name I will omit to protect myself. He used to go to many meetings and would usually say "you can ask me any questions you may have during the meetings and I will clear things up for you". If you did ask him any question except "what time is it", the response was always - "I will research that and get back to you in a memo". Among the rank and file of the employees, his nickname was "Memo". Back to the Nichols appointment, which was announced by Deb Pahler, the Republican election commissioner who, as I understand it, has complete authority to make the appointment. I don't suppose the County Republican Chairman had anything to do with that decision. Oh well, the Board of Elections loss is the Legislature's gain.

On the National Front, the hearings are underway concerning Hilary Clinton's appointment as Secretary of State. There is very little of substance being said, and the committee members are taking their sweet, profound, intelligent time about saying it. I am amazed how a senator who wants to say "She'll be OK" can use 30 minutes worth of hot air to say it. Comparison has to be made over the statements of a confident, poised Hilary who, despite my personal feelings about her is certainly on top of things as well as anyone, and Senator wannabee Caroline, who did write a children's book you know. I understand that she had a co-author on that project. I feel a certain degree of pity for Governor Patterson who is certainly getting a thorough lesson in Kennedy politics.

Enough for today - wcd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

apparently Hil's ability to dodge sniper fire made her the best choice for Secretary of State