Saturday, December 13, 2008

Holy Cow Poop

You can relax - we are the Government and we are here to help you - the most interesting government announcement was made recently regarding the plan by the EPA to tax farmers for the odors emitted by their cows and pigs. Seem like some suit in Washington decided that our environment was not safe because of cow and pig poop. The answer to this dilemna was, of course, to impose a new tax (surcharge, rollback, penalty) on farmers for raising milk, beef, and pork producers. The farmers in all of the rural areas (that's pretty redundant, not too many live in cities) are outraged by this stupidity with good cause. What in hell were they thinking of? We are getting ready to load a few hundred billion dollars to save the automakers, who, as we all know, do not contribute to atmospheric pollution, but we are going to tax farmers for the occasional cow or pig fart. I am reminded of folks who build houses in rural areas next to farms that have been there for generations. When the farmer starts spreading manure, which they have also been doing for generations, the screaming begins - oh, the odors, the distress, the infamy of it all. I am the proud possessor of a chicken flock (3 chickens) which I keep around for entertainment value as much as anything. Am I also going to get swept up in this manure nightmare? I have had very little luck in persuading chickens to poop in designated areas, and in my youth had the same luck with cows and pigs. Let's hope that this latest stroke of genius dies a natural and quick death.

On the home front, the St. Lawrence County Legislature has been toiling mightily for several months over an Ethics Law, which would require legislators, department heads, committee people, etc to divulge their financial souls for everyone to take a look at. Most people don't really want to do this, of course so the law isn't moving along very fast. When I worked for St. Lawrence County, I had to fill out the Ethics Law forms in place then, and it wasn't much of a burden for me - I didn't have any money anyway. In addition, the rules in place then were pretty vague, such as: "Do you have between $10 and $1,000,000". I don't really see any need for an ethics law anyway - this county is so small and incestous that anyone commiting a financial crime will get squealed upon almost before they reap a profit. I notice the latest suggestion was to dump the enforcement into the lap of district attorney Nicole Duve, who very wisely dumped it right back. Nicole's position was - bring me proof of a criminal act and I will prosecute - otherwise leave me alone. One can only wish that other lawmakers could follow her example, do their job and then quit.

Moving to the Midwest, we have politics as usual in Illinois where the Governor, to no one's surprise, seems to be a little crooked. If you have followed politics in Illinois for any length of time you know that the questionairre for any political wannabee in that state contains the question, "If you are offerred a bribe, will you accept it and keep quiet about it?". Only "yes" answers are acceptable. To my delight, I read that the House Speaker in Illinois is demanding action and is suitably outraged by the Governor's perfidity. The Attorney General (Lisa Madigan) is threatening a lawsuit, presumably against the Governor to put an end to his shenanigans. What caught my eye was the fact that the House Speaker is also named Madigan and the Attorney General is his daughter. I guess nepotism doesn't count either in Illinois.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Poop and politics,can't get any better than this, right?

Hey anytime your ready, you can bring the temp up a bit Bro, it's flippin cold! Thanks