Tuesday, December 2, 2008

In the Beginning - Dec 2, 2008

I have an old Blog "NNY Gardening" which I have not been very good at keeping up to date. I think I am burnt out on the gardening stuff, and in the winter time up here there is not a hell of a lot of gardening going on.

I have decided to start this new blog with a title I used when I wrote for the Watertown Daily Times. The "Edge of the World" title came from a trip my family and I made from Virginia many years ago when I lived in Virginia and occasionally came home to the North Country. We had made a gas stop in Watertown, where I complained to the gas station guy about the way gas prices increased the farther we went north. After the typical north county delay while he "pondered" my remarks, he said, "well, you are getting pretty close to the edge of the world, you know".

One of the things I have missed after I quit writing for the Times was the chance to take a shot at some of the local politicians and politics in general. Some of their shenanigans were a great delight to me, although they sometimes didn't appreciate my interest. I firmly believe that someone has to shine a light on them occasionally, and let the chips fall where they may. The beauty of the blog is that there are no editors looking over my shoulder to criticize my opinions, and this reminds me of the old drinking toast - "Here's to those who wish me well, and all the rest can go to hell".

I will try to keep more current on this new endeavor, although I don't know who long it will last - I am not getting any younger, you know. Brace yourselves - who know what might develop.

No comments: